Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Phase 2 of Getting Apollo Healthy

Phase 1 was getting him shod.   Phase 2 is getting his teeth floated.  This is happening today!  Hooray!   The vet happened to be heading out to the barn this morning and was able to work Apollo in, so I dropped off a check before I went to work.   When I had the PPE done, the first thing the vet said when he opened Apollo's mouth was "Yikes.  He needs a dental, really soon."   He didn't find really sharp hooks, but most of the back teeth were worn oddly and probably uncomfortable.

So hooray for my vet!  He's a good dentist as well as being a good vet.  The two don't always go hand in hand, so I'm pleased.

It also occurs to me that my horse (Reveille or Apollo; it applies either way) gets more frequent dental work than I do.  The more-shoes-than-I-have thing is a given, but I hadn't thought about dentals.  :)

Interesting tooth-related note from the PPE: Apollo was born without his lower right canine.  Hunh!   What a horse is doing with a canine tooth, I'll never know, but apparently they have them.   But Apollo only has three.  Kind of like some people never get wisdom teeth, or how I don't respond to a particular aikido hold called sankyo -- that nerve just isn't where it ought to be in my forearm, so I stand there and look puzzled rather than drop to the mat like most people.

Anyway, looking forward to riding tonight.   If I can -- if the vet says it's okay to ride after Apollo's dental.  He might be too sore.  In which case I'll longe him and brush him and love on him.

2 comments:

  1. Never reveal secret ninja weaknesses on a public forum! Who knows when that might come in handy.

    Admittedly, most horse people are more inclined to hit someone with a pitchfork than try any ninja moves, but it's the principle of the issue.

    ReplyDelete
  2. TSB, I think she revealed a secret ninja strength! Can't put Rinsie down using a sankyo hold. +10 HP!

    Glad Apollo only needed minor maintenance! Can't wait for more updates! :)

    ReplyDelete