Tuesday, May 12, 2015

I hope I have time to start updating more regularly.  I have time today, so here's an update!  I apologize for the lack of photos, and I'll try to correct that.  Photos of me riding will be few and far between, but I'll try.

The mud is abated.  Sing hosanna!  The pasture situation is still less than ideal, but I'm coping.  I'm riding just outside the existing arena - the footing in the little arena, such as it is, is rutted, inconsistently wet and dry, and full of weeds.  Plus, it's quite small.  So I'm riding in the sloped, also somewhat rutted flatter area in front of the little arena.  This is not as ideal as riding in the pasture I had designated as riding space, but it works fine for now.  I can jump the natural ditch and the natural bank, and as far as dressage goes ... if I can get Apollo round and balanced up and down the slope and over the ruts and rough ground, he can be balanced and round anywhere.  It's good for his muscling, too.

So that dressage and work on muscle and round happened yesterday.  I'm not pushing him terribly hard just yet, even though it's almost mid-May.  Footing hasn't been good enough to ride consistently until recently, so we're working, but not going to failure or anything.  Still, he broke a good sweat, and by the time we finished, I had good, connected work both directions and all gaits.

I'm trying to remember to "not school shit," as Kelly would put it.  If I ask for a transition, I want it to be a good transition, or at least the transition I asked for.  I want a marching walk, a responsive trot, etc.

Exciting thing of the week is XC schooling on Sunday!  Yay!  Going up to the local home course with NT and a bunch of students, and I'm really looking forward to it.

Ride on!

5 comments:

  1. hurray for the mud drying up! enjoy xc this weekend :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! :) I am excited. We haven't been out in months and months, and it'll be a whole new place for both of us.

      Delete
  2. Yay! So glad you're back in the saddle. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too. I have been for a week and a half, two weeks, but am just now updating.

      BTW, I'll have a cross-country boots review after Thursday and again Monday. ;)

      Delete
  3. Hooray for saddle time! Sounds like you are making the most of what you've got in terms of facilities so good for you. =) And excited for XC school - hopefully someone brings a groom/cameraman!

    ReplyDelete